DPS #170 Staff, Students, and Families,
I am writing this not to alarm you but to inform you. There is another Tik Tok Challenge circulating nationally that dubs Friday, December 17th as "shoot up your school" day. The original post is general and not directed at a specific school. We do not have any threats against any of our schools. I am sharing this notice out of an abundance of caution and as a precautionary measure. My intent of sharing this information with you is to be transparent, and let you know we are always vigilant in the safety and security of our buildings.
This information has been shared with our District and school administration, our school resource officers, and local law enforcement. The safety of our students and staff is our top priority. All safety concerns to our school or students are taken seriously and investigated thoroughly.
Here are some reminders on how you can help ensure safety in our schools:
- Be sure to report any concerning message you hear or see in person or online to a trusted adult, school administration or staff member, or police.
- The Safe2Help Illinois is a 24/7 program for students to share school safety issues, find resources to get help and find encouragement to help others. Reports can be submitted by clicking https://app.safe22helpil.com/
- Please do not promote social media rumors, instead, tell us.
- If you feel uncomfortable about something you read, something you hear, something you see please, report it so we can do something about it.
- Know who is connecting with your children online and set rules for social networking, instant messaging, e-mailing, online gaming and using webcams.
Dixon Public Schools is committed to keeping our schools a safe place for learning, and we will work together to continue to keep it that way.
Please don’t hesitate to contact me or any building or district administrator if you have any questions or concerns.
Margo Empen - Superintendent
Dixon Public Schools #170
1335 Franklin Grove Road
Dixon, Illinois 61021
(815) 373-4966 ext. 5107
(815) 284-8576 Fax